So many people show such great interest in getting organized, I thought I would share a few tips on getting started. Why? I'm sick, I've caught the man cold that rampaged through the house the last few days. I can't taste anything and well, I dare say my taster is not up to par. So, organizing it is!
A few helpful hints
- get rid of the guilt makers-for me this was shelves and shelves of How to-Self Help books on parenting, marriage and simple living-I'm not sure how I ever acquired so many help myself books but they were there, telling me I had done everything wrong and no wonder my teenager is like he is because HOW COULD HE NOT BE with such an evil mom...turns out-I am a normal mom, I get mad and yell and so does everybody else-so those are gone and the diet books because I know the big secret to weight loss, pull off the feed bag and move more, it's so simple why do I need a book for that?
- cull the magazines, they are cluttery, dusty slidey beasts-why did I keep them? because of the fear that I might need them so I donated them to thrift stores and farm school-6 plastic shopping bags full! breathing room
- get rid of the boxes, my furnace room was full of boxes, why? again I might need them, out they went, I can always get another box or 23-keep an assortment of smaller boxes stacked in a bigger box that way you'll have what you need
- when I want to declutter something I do, I don't wait to go buy plastic tubs, boxes, containers, baskets, folders and such, just do it, use what you have, why add to the clutter by buying more stuff? I used an old cookie jar to hold my cookie cutters, half a gift box for cookie kits and a bushel type basket with Christmas cookie cutters, I started and finished one cupboard in less than an hour
- cull your personal stuff, how many pairs of shoes do you really need? if you work in an office you need more than I do, but me personally I have rubber boots, keen hiking shoes and dr. martens-I keep a pair of crappy crocs for dashing outside so I don't have to stop and tie shoes for a quick trip
- just because it fits does not mean it's perfect for me, if I don't wear something why do I hang on to it? donate it, give it to someone who will like it, dye it, or cut it into rags
- go through the bathroom, find all the odds and ends-donate them or use them up, chop open the lotion bottles to get to the last couple ounces, then recycle them
Peace and Love,